Photographer's Note

Today we begin the visit at the Agora.Map of Agora
The hill of Kolonos Agoraios is dominated by the Temple of Hephaistos, or Hephaisteion.
Once known as the Theseum (temple of Theseus) - now generally agreed to be the Hephaisteion (temple of Hephaistos), where Hephaistos, god of the forge and Athena, goddess of arts and crafts were worshipped together, on the hill overlooking the commercial centre. It was built between 460 and 420 BC (delays because of building programme on the Acropolis, and the Peloponnesian War) of Pentelic marble, and is the best-preserved Greek temple. The sculptural decoration showed labours of Heracles, labours of Theseus, and battle of Lapiths and Centaurs, and inside were statues of Athena and Hephaistos. The sanctuary was landscaped to provide shelter from the sun (evidence from planting-pits filled with large terracotta flowerpots).

It’s one of the few temples (if not the only temple) which has survived the centuries intact. Even the frieze has survived in its original position in a remarkably complete condition. As a result, it is a favorite spot for tourists and archeologists to view. As with virtually all of the ruins, visitors are not allowed inside the temple. However, one can see enough from the outside to get a good understanding of the form and function of a Greek temple.
More Athens Here

vasilis ha puntuado esta nota como útil.

Photo Information
Viewed: 3014
Points: 2
  • None
Additional Photos by Yiannis Logiotatidis (logios) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 179 W: 28 N: 398] (1903)
View More Pictures