Fotos

Photographer's Note

Church of Transfiguration of Christ. Agia Sotira - called and was built in 1893.

Years turning back to the years of Turkish rule. Then in Vilia, there were three parishes of Panagitsas in Agios Dimitrios, Agios Athanasios the second and third the Archangels. With the liberation from the Turks, the Ministry of Ecclesiastical Affairs and Public Education that the current Ministry of Education in the year 1858 stated that the town EDILLIA-(mean ROMANCE)the old name of Vilia consist of a single parish, the Archangels, and so it happened.
But to build the new church needed money, and even a lot, which certainly did not have the people of Vilia those difficult times. Three men then took to carry out this difficult task ... is to build a new church. The then Mayor Anastasios Athanasios. Vappas and Commissioners Athanasios Con. Ploumpis and Rep. John Gikas deeply religious, started operations. The poor village as we said then Ploumpis A. and J. Ghika to touch and motivate fellow, gets a very risky decision at the time. Undermine their properties (houses, olive groves, vineyards, fields and everything else had) to get the money, and risk losing everything mortgaged without returning the money later (for this event are official documents to the notary of Vilia).

So when the new became known to all residents and even more shocked when they learned that the two commissioners are experiencing problems with their families for their action. Then all the people from their savings that could have offered cash and who are not offered individually later work.
Offers made across the region Megaridos Athens and Piraeus Viliotes even from America. Where the amount collected the work undertaken by the then leading architect Ernest Ziller. The Chiller at the time had designed buildings in Athens known as the National Library, Ilion Melathron (formerly Areopagus).

For the construction of the temple erected two sites on the instructions of Schiller and the contractor for the carving of stone, each Palaiochori and the other in the central square near the church of the Archangels, the divan as saying then. On construction work took place and Viliotes particularly at the site of the square and even women and children. Water-supply course and there was no need for the construction of water carried by women today Panagitsa and the old fountain (from the current pop market). The stone was mined in Palaiochori the hill of the northern side. Workers katrakylousan the blocks in the church of St. George where artisans where they gave the original version. Then was the transfer from Viliotes (from the Ntrestani) animals and carts at the site of the square where there are craftsmen gave its final form.
www.vilia.org

Nobody ha puntuado esta nota como útil.

Photo Information
Viewed: 2892
Points: 6
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Giorgos Marossis (dim) Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 0 W: 13 N: 511] (3968)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH