Fotos

Photographer's Note

The Cathedral of San Nicolò is the most important place of worship in Noto and is dedicated to San Nicolò de Mira. The building was the mother church of the city until 1844, when the diocese of Noto was founded, and later became the bishop's seat.

The works began in 1693, but due to the many earthquakes that occurred over the centuries the building suffered additional damages and had to be modified.
The current structure is partly the result of the latest works designed by the architect Bernardo Labisi and concluded only in the nineteenth century.

In 1848 the dome collapsed and was later rebuilt under the responsibility of engineer Cassone. The building was completed in 1862 while the internal decorations were completed in 1959.

Due to the Santa Lucia earthquake, which hit part of the Noto Valley on December 13, 1990, the pillars that supported the dome suffered other damages. On March 13, 1996 there was also the collapse of the dome, as well as the central and right naves due to a construction error. The church was finally reopened on June 18, 2007.

On January 21, 2012, Pope Benedetto XVI granted the church the title of minor basilica.

The cathedral is on top of a large and beautiful staircase, located on the north side of Piazza Municipio.
The facade, flanked by slender side towers, represents an example of late Baroque style in the Noto Valley, but there are also eclectic elements and a strong neoclassical inspiration.

The church has a Latin cross plan with three naves and in the past it was decorated with frescoes by the painters Bandinelli and Arduino: unfortunately, the decorations were lost in 1996. Today, the church has ample white spaces with Baroque interior decoration.

---------------------------------------------------

La catedral de San Nicolò es el lugar de culto más importante de Noto y es dedicada a San Nicolò de Mira. El edificio fue la iglesia madre de la ciudad hasta el 1844, cuando se fundó la diócesis de Noto, y más tarde se convirtió en la sede del obispo.

Las obras comenzaron en el 1693, pero debido a los muchos terremotos que ocurrieron durante los siglos el edificio sufrió daños adicionales y tuve que ser modificado.
La estructura actual es en parte el resultado de las últimas obras diseñadas por el arquitecto Bernardo Labisi y concluidas sólo en el siglo XIX.

En el 1848 la cúpula se derrumbó y luego fue reconstruida bajo la responsabilidad del ingeniero Cassone. El edificio fue terminado en el 1862 mientras que las decoraciones internas fueron terminadas en el 1959.

Debido al terremoto de Santa Lucía, que golpeó parte del Valle de Noto el 13 de diciembre de 1990, los pilares que sostenían la cúpula sufrieron otros daños. El 13 de marzo de 1996 hubo también el colapso de la cúpula, así como las naves central y derecha debido a un error de construcción. La iglesia fue finalmente reabierta el 18 de junio 2007.

El 21 de enero 2012, Papa Benedetto XVI otorgó a la iglesia el título de basílica menor.

La catedral está encima de una gran y hermosa escalera, situada en el lado norte de Piazza Municipio.
La fachada, flanqueada por esbeltas torres laterales, representa un ejemplo de estilo barroco tardío en el Valle de Noto, pero hay también elementos eclécticos y una marcada inspiración neoclásica.

La iglesia tiene una planta de cruz latina con tres naves y en pasado estaba decorada con frescos de los pintores Bandinelli y Arduino: desafortunadamente, las decoraciones se perdieron en el 1996. Hoy, la iglesia tiene amplios espacios blancos con decoración interior barroca.

holmertz, Fis2, pajaran, jean113, papagolf21, COSTANTINO, jhm, cornejo ha puntuado esta nota como útil.

Photo Information
Viewed: 606
Points: 38
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 9184 W: 5 N: 16497] (73450)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH