Photographer's Note

Morcicchia Castle - Giano dell’Umbria (PG)

It rises nestled on the Martani Mountains in an almost inaccessible position; it is named in the annals of Muratori "Castrum quod dicitur Moricicla situm in ducatum Spoletano inter Muricem et Clarignanum in Plebe de Luzano Beati Petri est". The oldest history of the castle is particularly obscure and not without contradicting versions. According to Sansi, the castle was once the property of Litaldo and Ugo, grandsons of Ugo di Ascario; then, as a result of an exchange, it came into the possession of Marro di Gisliero, who, on November 17, 1078, donated it to the church, reserving the usufruct for himself and his heirs. It is likely that the territory was part of Normannia, a vast imperial fiefdom at the foot of the Martani Mountains, which was then passed on to the Church when, in 1198, she became mistress of the Duchy. The Popes administered it directly so the inhabitants were called manuals of the Roman Curia. The area took the name of Normannia because Normans is equivalent to manuals. At the end of the 12th century, in fact, Cencio Camerario defines it as “iuris beati Petri”. The fief was then granted, in 1247, to the Municipality of Spoleto by the Cardinal Legato Capocci. However, he had to return to the Church, since, in 1293, the mayor of Spoleto Lapo Salterello proposed to the bishop Francesco to exchange it with some lands, the contract was finalized and the ducal city, on 26 October 1294, returned to possession of the castle. Spoleto freed the inhabitants of Morcicchia from any servitude and vassalage, who remained subject to him with the obligations and conditions common to the other castles.
It is not found, however, included among the castles subject to Spoleto in 1361; it is listed, however, among those dependent in 1490 with the name of Morocicchia. In 1600 it joined with Moriano, acquiring a municipal statute, now preserved in the Spoleto Archives, and finally in 1800 it passed to the municipality of Giano.
Of the ancient castle, divided into two districts: San Silvestro and Castello, only a few surviving towers remain, some houses, the remains of the Porta Vecchia to the east and the Porta di Ressando to the west, and a large part of the walls.
Inside the castle walls stands the Church of San Silvestro, completely renovated a few years ago, which is documented by the Pelosius Code as early as the 14th century, even if, in all likelihood, it is much older, as some features would suggest. of the perimeter walls that lean against the castle walls. The interior no longer retains anything relevant. A tall bell gable built in the 14th century rises in the shadow of a massive rectangular tower.

Fis2, COSTANTINO, pierrefonds, jhm, ikeharel, PaulVDV, mcmtanyel ha puntuado esta nota como útil.

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 19725 W: 130 N: 41814] (220637)
  • Genre: Lugares
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2022-01-13
  • Exposición: 30 segundos
  • Versión de la foto: Versión original
  • Date Submitted: 2022-01-13 2:32
Viewed: 0
Points: 30
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 19725 W: 130 N: 41814] (220637)
View More Pictures