Photographer's Note

Church of Sts. Mary Magdalene and Our Lady of Immaculate Conception and adjacent to it the Franciscan monastery - a sacred complex located in Przemysl on Franciszkañska Street.
According to tradition, the first Franciscans arrived in Przemysl in 1237. They used the non-existing church of Sts. Peter at ul. Cathedral. The first church of its own was raised in 1378, which was dedicated to the Franciscan Bishop Eryk de Winsen. In 1638 it was largely destroyed by fire. The reconstruction lasted until 1658, in a new shape the church survived to half. The eighteenth century, when it was decided to demolish and build a new temple that still exists today. The construction lasted for 24 years (1754-1778), generously supported by the bishop of Przemy¶l and Lwow Waclaw Hieronim Sierakowski and the Kiev governor Franciszek Salezy Potocki. The church was consecrated by Bishop Józef Tadeusz Kierski on July 19, 1778. In 1864 a fire broke out in the church, which resulted in the roof being reduced, the signature was removed, the façade was turned and the towers reduced. Further renovations and restoration works were carried out between 1918-1930 and 1974-1987. At present the church and the monastery are under the Franciscan Province of St. Catherine. Anthony and Bl. James Stirrup.

Photo Information
Viewed: 596
Points: 42
  • None
Additional Photos by Krzysztof Dera (Fis2) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 14131 W: 162 N: 24422] (166369)
View More Pictures