Fotos

Photographer's Note

One of the main towns (if I may say so) in the Shetlands is Scalloway, on th west coast of Mainland. The weather is turning grey again for th visit, but here is a general view of the harbour, with the ruins of the castle (for tomorrow). In workshop, two other view of the town.

PS Elements 5.0

Plus a little bit of history and geography made in Wikipedia:
Scalloway (Old Norse:Skalavagr - "bay with house") is the largest settlement on the North Atlantic coast of Mainland, Shetland with a population of approximately 812, at the 2001 census. Until 1708 it was the capital of the Shetland Islands (now Lerwick, on the east coast of the Shetland Mainland).
Scalloway is also the location of the North Atlantic Fisheries College which offers numerous courses and supports several research programmes in fisheries sciences, aquaculture, marine engineering and coastal management etc.
Nearby are the Scalloway Islands, which derive their name from the town.
Built in 1600 by Earl Patrick Stewart, the remains of Scalloway Castle is the most notable feature of the village. Scalloway Castle is located near the quay (the castle is usually locked, however a key can be borrowed from the nearby Scalloway Hotel).
Norwegian boatbuilders from the Bergen area, (Os and Tysnes), built Yoals, which were then taken apart and 'flat packed' for shipping to Scalloway, from about the 16th century. Instead of sending complicated assembly instructions, they sent boatbuilders to re-build them. Many of those stayed for years in Shetland, and some married there.
To the Hanseatic merchants from Bremen and Hamburg, Scalloway was known as Schaldewage and as a good sheltered harbour on the route to Hillswick.
Barbara Tulloch and her daughter Ellen - the last witches to be burned in Shetland - were executed on Gallow Hill, overlooking the village.
During World War II, Scalloway was the home base and housed for some time the headquarter of The Shetland Bus, part of the Norwegian resistance against Nazi-Germany. The Norway House and the Prince Olav Pier / slipway, which formed major parts of the base are still existing. Details about the history of The Shetland Bus are on display at the Scalloway Museum, Willie Smith has written a memoir of this period. Other notable Scalloway authors are the prolific James R. Nicolson and the photographer/writer C.J. (Clement) Williamson.
After the war Scalloway served as harbour of the Shetland-Orkney ferry service (mv Orcadia on the Scalloway - Stromness route).
After the opening of the Schiehallion Oil Field off the west coast of Shetland, Scalloway took over some functions as a service base for the oil business.

gelor, jhm, pablominto, Tue ha puntuado esta nota como útil.

Photo Information
Viewed: 2873
Points: 20
Discussions
Additional Photos by Emmanuel LE CLERCQ (emjleclercq) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 2013 W: 62 N: 3115] (15778)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH