Photographer's Note

A view of the interior of the Church of the Holy Saviour in Palermo, Sicily.

Originally it was built as a place of worship for Basilian nuns by Robert Guiscard in 1072 . The religious institution subsequently came under the protection of King Roger and Martin. However, its renown comes from a legend that Queen Constance of Altavilla, future mother of Emperor Frederick II, was abbess of the convent. A strong tradition also links this monastery to Saint Rosalia, the patron saint of Palermo.

It was extensively reworked in the sixteenth century, becoming fully baroque, with the appointment as architect of Paolo Amato ( 1682 - 1704 ), who adopted the model of a central plan with twelve-sided elliptical dome. The sumptuous interior seen here is entirely decorated with polychrome marble, stucco and frescoes.

The church was seriously affected by the Anglo-American bombing of 1943 that destroyed part of the fabric. Around 1959 the architect Franco Minissi restored it, transforming it into an auditorium.

Taken from an article on the Italian Wikipedia site and freely translated.

Royaldevon, pierrefonds, ikeharel, Graal, Cricri, ChrisJ ha puntuado esta nota como útil.

Photo Information
Viewed: 1929
Points: 28
  • None
Additional Photos by Stephen Nunney (snunney) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 10627 W: 63 N: 29872] (130967)
View More Pictures