Photographer's Note

The pier at Scorpion Harbor, Santa Cruz Island is where visitors disembark from the Island Packers tour boats from Oxnard Harbor, California.

Santa Cruz Island was named for a priest's staff accidentally left on the island during the Portola expedition of 1769. A Chumash Indian found the cross tipped stave and returned it to the priest. The Spaniards were so impressed that they called this island of friendly people "La Isla de Santa Cruz", the Island of the Sacred Cross.

The Island was inhabited over 10,000 years by American Indians. The Chumash people had ten villages housing over 1,200 people. They traded with the California mainland via large plank canoes. In the 1800s the whiteman arrived, the Scorpion Ranch primarily for agriculture was built,and the Chumash were moved to mainland Indian reservations.

jhm, ikeharel, No_One ha puntuado esta nota como útil.

Photo Information
Viewed: 1023
Points: 14
  • None
Additional Photos by Ray Anderson (photoray) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 1203 W: 1 N: 3169] (13981)
View More Pictures