Fotos

Photographer's Note

The pond in the formal gardens at Strokestown House. Strokestown Park was first built by Thomas Mahon on lands which had previously been granted to his grandfather Nicholas in the 17th century because of his support of the British. The house remained in the family until 1979 when the last owner became too elderly to remain at the house and had to enter a retirement home. The house was by then in an advanced state of decay; both the house and grounds were purchased by a local company. The owner thus decided that the house, now preserved exactly as it was the day the last owner, Olive, left it, was too important as a heritage site to allow it to deteriorate further and ensured the salvation of the estate. Some restoration has occurred since but the house is still quite run-down and damage continues to occur. It was opened to the public in 1987, and guests are taken on guided tours through the house, which is unchanged from the time the family lived there. The incredible gardens were opened to the public in 1997 after a ten-year restoration project. Since they hadn't been tended since the 1960s, they were quite overgrown but have since been restored. The Famine Museum also occupies the old stable yards of Strokestown House. It's somewhat ironic since one of the owners was murdered because he tried to evict many of the tenants from the land, so the house has something of a notorious reputation also.

Nobody ha puntuado esta nota como útil.

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Terez Anon (terez93) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 92 W: 78 N: 1276] (2193)
  • Genre: Lugares
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2006-07-00
  • Categories: Naturaleza
  • Versión de la foto: Versión original
  • Date Submitted: 2008-02-15 16:47
Viewed: 1799
Points: 0
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Terez Anon (terez93) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 92 W: 78 N: 1276] (2193)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH